jerichoblog

linux and windows tips, mathematics, and some recipes

Monday, July 24, 2006

How to log in to your Motorola WR850G wireless router

Question

Dear Sir/Madam,

I can't access the control panel on my WR850G. I bought the unit in March and managed to set it up just fine. I enabled WPA-PSK and MAC-based authentication and disabled DHCP (as I was using another device as a router). I've had no problems with it since then, until just now when I bought a new laptop.

Naturally, I needed to access the control panel in order to enter the MAC address of my new wireless adapter. Unfortuately, nothing happens when I try accessing 192.168.10.1 on my web browser (even using the machine which can get a wireless service from the router). I get a ping response from 192.168.10.1 if I change my IP address to 192.168.10.2.

I've tried resetting the router (by holding the reset button for 30 seconds while the power is on). This seems to have no effect and the router continues to transmit the old SSID.

I've also tried running the installation utility which came with the router. This works OK until it gets to the "detecting router" stage, and then stops.

Basically, I can use the router fine as a wired switch, and I can use it as a wireless access point with exactly one wireless adapter (the one whose MAC address I'd entered into the router using the control panel). I cannot access the control panel, hence cannot add the MAC address of my new laptop.

I would very much appreciate any help you can provide me with in solving this problem.


Answer

Hello Gihan
try this hook the router to the xp computer remove the modem from the router so just 1 eithernet cable going from one of the 4 lan ports on the back of the router and the other end to the back of the pc now go to start , then click on control panell
now click on internet and network connection then click on net work connection
or you may just see network connection now right click the local area connection and go and left click properties
now high light internet protocal tcp/ip and then click on properties
now put the dot in use the following ip address Then type each of the next but subnet mask should auto populate
IP=192.168.10.4
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
default gateway=192.168.10.1
Then click on ok then close
now open up internet exploror or mozilla and in the address bar type 192.168.10.1 and see if you can get to the log in screen if you cant you will need to call the # below and talk to our tech support team there incase the router is faulty
let them know what we already did so they dont have to redo what weve already done
Thank you for chooseing motorola
If you need further assitant please respond to this email or contact us by 1877 466 8646
Thank you for choseing motorola you have a great day
Charlotte

6 Comments:

  • At 3:45 am, Blogger Unknown said…

    Also, sometimes the 850's are stubborn to reset. Mine didn't reset with the normal 10sec press. I unplugged the power, held the reset for 20, and while held, plugged the power back in. Its tricky, but it worked. I waited about 30secs(with the lights going crazy) and then power cycled it and my modem, and refreshed my IP. This worked..but if it was just coincidence, I do not know.

     
  • At 10:09 pm, Blogger DWARG said…

    God Bless you Trikein for posting that comment. Plugging and unplugging like a lunatic with the reset button held down finally did the trick (I was getting a little irritated). Thanks!

     
  • At 1:18 am, Blogger GeorgeMulak said…

    Does following this proceedure reset the router? I don't want to reset it, only to access it. Also, if this is the way the router has to be accessed, doesn't that make it very hard to make changges, or is that the point? I really don't want to lose all of my settings in the router.

     
  • At 1:32 am, Blogger GeorgeMulak said…

    Question: Does this proceedure reset the router settings? All I want to do is forward some ports for video security. I don't want to reset all my settings in the router and have to set it all back up again. Why is it so difficult to get into the router? Is this done intentionally?

     
  • At 1:36 am, Blogger j.shoehorn said…

    Hi George,

    It's been a long time since I've had this router. I don't think the procedure resets it, but I can't remember for certain. If you want to be sure, you should call Motorola. Good luck!

     
  • At 6:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    have you tried using 192.168.100.1 in the browser instead of 192.168.10.1? thats how it is for my router.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home